Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flock Flash-Player Fiasco

I recently decided to try the Flock social networking web browser. I'll be posting a full review of the most recent version for Linux just as soon as I have finished my evaluation, but for now I would like to address an issue that I encountered, and that I found that others had encountered as well. Although flock browser is based on Firefox, some special care must be taken in order to convince flash to work.

--Flock for Windows--
Since the majority of users will be running Windows, and because it is a slightly easier fix, I will address the Windows version first. First you'll need to open the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, or in the start menu. Then double click on the icon market "C:\", then double click on Program Files, and then the folder marked Flock. Inside of this folder , you should find a file named "install_flash_player.exe", which seems to have been designed to install the flash player in Flock specifically. After first making sure that Flock is closed, double click the "install_flash_player.exe" and a quick installer should run. Once it is finished, just go to your favorite Flash video site(Youtube, etc.), and test it out. This should solve the problem, if not leave me a comment and I'll look into in further.

--Flock for Linux(Ubuntu)--
Next is the issue of the Linux version, which is almost as easy to correct. First download the flash plugin in Gzip format. It can be found here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thankyou/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Linux_(.tar.gz) . Next, unzip the file and extract the file named "libflashplayer.so" into Flock's plugins folder. The location of this folder will vary depending on which distro you use, however, I installed it to my "home" folder to make things easier. After you have extracted the file, restart Flock and then test it out using the method detailed above. Once again, this solved the problem for me, but if it doesn't work for you, leave me a comment and I'll try to help you out.

Cheers,
-Will

4 comments:

Evan Hamilton said...

Hey Will,

Sorry to hear about your issues with Flash in Flock. For the majority of our users Flash gets automatically installed in Flock during installation. It sounds like yours didn't spark for some reason...maybe something on your machine blocking it, or maybe just a glitch in Flock. In any case, we do know that this works for the majority of our users.

Hope the rest of your experience with Flock is smoother!

Evan Hamilton
Flock Community Ambassador
evan at flock dot com

seagull said...

I'm a windows user and still having problem with flash in flock. I had the 2.0 version then figured I should upgrade to 2.5 to see if it fixes the problem, but it didn't. Now I followed your intructions here but to no avail. Please help, I love my Flock.

the.colonel said...

i am using ubuntu and i tried to extract flash into the plugins section but it wont let me because i dont have permission to any help?

Will said...

Sorry I took so long getting back to you guys. For some reason I didn't receive a notice that I had comments. :)

I'd like to help more with the Windows based issue, but I'm afraid I don't have a Windows Machine set up at the moment. What I can recommend you try however, is to try copying the plugin from the Firefox folder into the Flock folder. Since they are based on the same software(Mozilla) the plugin should be the same, as is the case with the Linux version. Once I get a Windows Virtual Machine set up, I'll post an update with more specific instructions.